Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Play is Powerful: A reflection on the Nature Play Corps experience

After coming home from a long day of exploring, den-building, and generally having a blast together out in nature, the Nature Play Corps interns often marveled at the fact that we got to play all day. 

But we weren’t just playing; we were learning. After all, what better way to emphasize the idea that people learn through play than to do so ourselves!

And boy did we learn! We learned that a chair is not just for sitting, and no matter what affordances you think you are providing, children will always find some that you never would have thought of. We learned the thrill of risk, of climbing trees and nets and balancing on rickety homemade bridges. We experienced how play facilitates social bonds. We learned that with a little imagination, a tree can become a ghostly pirate ship and some pinecones and shells can become a delicious feast. We rediscovered our connections to nature, the feeling of mud caked onto legs and hands, the simple joy of lying back and looking up at the sky. We learned that all it might take to get kids playing outside for hours is the suggestion that there are ITs about or treasure to be found.

In short, we learned that play is powerful. 

Taking this internship was one of the best choices of my life. I played like a kid again and I got so much inspiration. In working with my teams each week to create play pockets I got to be extremely creative and view the world in a childlike way. I made 14 new friends who are fascinating, creative, supportive, fun and generally awesome playworkers/designers/people. I learned a ton from all of the staff and got to know them well enough that I felt comfortable asking them questions and having discussions outside of work hours. The network that we have created is truly incredible and is one of the most useful things that I will take away from the internship.

Watching the kids enjoy our play pockets and knowing that they were actually sad, as we were, that Friday was our last play day, I could see the results that we achieved. We put out the best products that we could and I'm so proud of us and our work. The Nature Play Corps experience, what I learned from it, and how it excited and energized me about future possibilities can only be seen as a success, and I know all of the rest of the interns would agree. 

To everyone who made this possible for us, THANK YOU! We know that it took a lot of behind-the-scenes work and caused some logistical nightmares but everything came together so well. 

I am so fortunate to have worked with all of you and I miss you all!

In betweens! Here and there!

Sarah Safley

No comments:

Post a Comment