Friday, June 24, 2011

HONEY BEARS ATTACK!

One of our final prototypes for the pilot program was a trail system of bear tracks leading up to a bear den. It was fascinating to see the different approaches each group of children took when arriving at our site. Upon their arrival, the children were asked if they wanted to become "real bears" and received paw prints on their hands to make it so.
Bear paws
The children then were given free range of the "play habitat," which allowed for 1-5 kids to occupy the den space, and afforded the other children to discover various bones, and sticks, to forage for food, or to become bears themselves.
Ferocious bears in their den

It's about ten minutes into our third play session, and a little girl is staring me down.
"Honey Bears are vicious. They are mean to all the other bears," she says. "I'm a Honey Bear, and you are the other bears." Her glare melts the log between us, giving me a hint of what is about to unfold.
"Uh-oh, what does that mean for me?" I ask.
"RAAAAAAAWWRR!"
Suddenly, I'm being clawed and hit. I collapse over the log, clearly dead. No matter, a magical bumble bee helmet brings me back to life, so that I can properly enjoy being bound. Ahead lies being a bench, a log, and a horse. It's a good day.

Captive Benji makes an excellent bench for honey bears.
Katie Johnson, Benji Palmer, and Sarah Safley

No comments:

Post a Comment